kyahgirl

Kyahgirl

Magic Rises
Ilona Andrews
Financial Fitness for Beginners - A 12-Week Training Program (Canadian Edition)
Diana E. Young
Truly
Ruthie Knox
The Admiral's Penniless Bride - Carla Kelly I can't believe there aren't more people raving about Carla Kelly; promoting her books to anyone who will listen. Since the very first Carla Kelly book I read (The Wedding Journey), I've never been disappointed. This book is no exception. I think the title is a bit hokey but I wonder if that is not the influence of the publisher. What is it about Carla Kelly's books that puts most of them in my 5 star category? I think it is the fact that her books don't have pretensions, they don't generally have rich, handsome, beautiful, shallow people floating around, having useless, meaningless lives. There isn't usually a manufactured mystery, no evil villains lurking around waiting to create a thrill ride. Her books are real. Her heroes are men who have lived, suffered, persevered and usually turned out to be salt of the earth, compassionate, courageous, and humble. Pretty much everything I admire. Her heroines usually steady, mature and courageous. There are no simpering virgins swooning and waiting for some man to rescue them. When I put picked the shelves for this book I included 'the human condition' because, first and foremost, what drives the story is humans and the human condition. In this story a destitute woman enters into an alliance with a retired admiral in order to save them both from, what is to each of them, a different, but equally horrible fate. The story is about their journey into love. The evil villain of the piece is really the government and corruption in the Royal Navy. At the end of the day, they are powerless to change the wrongdoings of this powerful force in their lives but they manage to save each other and quite a few others beside.