kyahgirl

Kyahgirl

Magic Rises
Ilona Andrews
Financial Fitness for Beginners - A 12-Week Training Program (Canadian Edition)
Diana E. Young
Truly
Ruthie Knox
NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children - Po Bronson, Ashley Merryman Usually when a book falls between 2 and 3 stars I round it up to 3 but this book feels like a solid 2.5. I liked parts of it and found many interesting points to ponder in the various chapters but it reads like an anthology of topics, none very deep. When choosing the shelves for this book I hesitate to put it on the parenting shelf because there isn't really a lot of helpful parenting information in it. I thought the first chapter was excellent and gave a good overview of the research around praise and motivation. The chapters on sleep/learning and racism and lying were interesting but the book petered out for me around the middle. I think because the authors were doing more of a summary/overview of research studies, rather than presenting any in depth knowledge about things they were expert at. A lot of the information in the book is based on solid old fashioned common sense...something that might have gotten lost in the shuffle of our over scheduled, over technological society. Its worthwhile to read from the perspective of a stepping off point if you want to get names and references for further study on a particular topic. If I want a refresher on parenting I'll still always go back to someone like Barbara Coloroso.