kyahgirl

Kyahgirl

Magic Rises
Ilona Andrews
Financial Fitness for Beginners - A 12-Week Training Program (Canadian Edition)
Diana E. Young
Truly
Ruthie Knox
Edge of Survival - Toni Anderson 5/5; 5 stars; A+Wow, what a great romantic suspense story. There are so many things that made this book special and two of them are not the usual things that would stand out in a book. First; the author created a heroine with Type 1 Diabetes. In her intro to the book she mentions that 15% of the royalties for this book will go towards fundraising for diabetes research. Toni Anderson did a stellar job of integrating the extremely challenging aspects of this disease into the heroine's life, her back story, her every waking and, unfortunately, sleeping moment. My first husband had Type I diabetes and, until you live with it, you never see how completely it shadows everything in your daily life. In Edge of Survival, the author doesn't play lip service to this devastating disease by just mentioning it in passing...she ably demonstrates the day to day reality of it without overshadowing the story of Cameran and her research work.Second; The story takes place in Northern Canada where the land is harsh but beautiful and the people are tough as nails. This added such a feeling of intensity to the story. There were no distractions with city life or even country life. Life in the wilderness is pretty stark and unpredictable and, in this case, the setting of the story really allows the reader to focus on the characters and the mystery. Even with those two unusual features she still had to write a romantic suspense story. Anderson succeeded 100%. Her two main characters were troubled in their own way and each carried heavy burdens. Daniel, barely surviving in the dark world of PTSD and Cameran, struggling to succeed under the weight of her disease, the worry and smothering of her family, her gender, and the hostile inhabitants of the area. If romantic suspense is your thing and you want something a little different, get this book. You won't be disappointed.