kyahgirl

Kyahgirl

Magic Rises
Ilona Andrews
Financial Fitness for Beginners - A 12-Week Training Program (Canadian Edition)
Diana E. Young
Truly
Ruthie Knox
Clockwork Angel - Cassandra Clare 2/5; 2 stars; C+This book was solidly in the four star range until I got to the middle.I really liked it. Two things happened in the last half of the book that made me slide into 'skimming to get it over with' mode. First, Tessa was revealed to be a complete, enabling, martyr when it came to her brother. I admit I have a strong personal aversion to this characteristic in real life and in books; people who have let themselves suffer and be basically destroyed because they know someone they love has an addiction but they think they can hide the fact they know about it and 'protect' the poor addict. Tessa and her aunt knew what a loser Nate was but they still allowed themselves to taken down by him. And; Tessa STILL professes to love Nate, even after what he has done. The other thing that ruined the book for me was the author began to subscribe to the 1970's romance novel concept of an appealing love relationship based on 'the man is devastatingly handsome but a cold, cruel asshole; the female can't help but be drawn to him and will be helpless against the draw and fall deeply and irrevocably in love with him'. YUCK! Game over for me. (And if you're wondering how I know about the 1970's 'romance' ideal; my older sister used to have her Harlequin and other romances secreted away in her bedroom and I would sneak in and steal them. Yes! Steal them. I was young and impressionable and came to the conclusion that love was all about being mistreated by jerks. Luckily, I've since gotten straightened out)