kyahgirl

Kyahgirl

Magic Rises
Ilona Andrews
Financial Fitness for Beginners - A 12-Week Training Program (Canadian Edition)
Diana E. Young
Truly
Ruthie Knox
Wonder - R.J. Palacio 4.5/5; 5 stars; AI enjoyed this story very much. Its classified as a children's story but it has a beautiful message that can be equally enjoyed by adults. I think, because its a children's story, there is a lightness to the story and a sense of hopefulness that offsets the heartbreaking subject matter. Some reviewers seem to quite put out by this. Yes, the fact is, a person with such a severe 'anomaly' as August had, is never going to have an easy time. But I don't think that is supposed to be the takeaway message from this book. The message is that humans, given the chance are capable of seeing past the surface to the value of a person and people are also capable of astounding courage and fortitude. I know that the character August was not considered disabled or handicapped so its not exactly the same thing, but I grew up in a household with a severely handicapped sibling and have some understanding of way the people view the handicapped, how profoundly the parents of the handicapped are hurt and challenged by societies reactions to their child, and how it never goes away. Ever. It affects everyone in the family. Wonder is written from several points of view; Auggie, his sister, his friends. This exercise was a very effective way to paint the picture of his life and many of the ways his life touched and impacted (not always postively), those around him. I'm a sucker for animals so really enjoyed Darth Daisy and her role in the family too. If not for the fact that I have middle school aged children myself, I might have found their attitidues, activities, and behaviours kind of unbelieveable. I think the author really did an excellent job of describing 'a year in grade 5'. Its pretty funny sometimes. I'd recommend this book to any of my reading buddies and their children, parents, friends....its that universal in it message and appeal.