kyahgirl

Kyahgirl

Magic Rises
Ilona Andrews
Financial Fitness for Beginners - A 12-Week Training Program (Canadian Edition)
Diana E. Young
Truly
Ruthie Knox
Longeye - Sharon Lee, Steve Miller 4.5/5; 5 stars; AThis review will apply to both Duainfey, book 1, and Longeye, book 2. I don't believe its accurate to view these two books as a duology but they are halves of the same whole. There is no point (IMO) in reading one if you don't also plan to read the other book. Anyway, I found this duo of books to be captivating, disturbing, engrossing, and satisfying in the sense of traditional high fantasy. There are the Fey, there are humans, there are sentient trees and animals, there is an evil monster who was so vile he made my skin crawl, there is the triumph of good over evil and a positive, happy outcome. I've read a lot of books by Lee and Miller and always find their style of writing appealing. However, they can be very subtle and they expect the reader to pay attention and figure out the story as it unfolds instead of just handing it to you. They also tend to end their books a bit abruptly for my taste but maybe I've become spoiled by the ubiquitous epilogue. It doesn't change the fact that these books are really well done. There IS some uncomfortable sexual content in book one. It isn't added to make the book romantic or erotic by any means, but to allow the reader to really understand how depraved and craven the evil monster is. Since the Liaden Universe series has very little sexual content, and that little bit is mostly 'implied', it may come as a surprise (nasty or not) to some readers to find it here. Myself, I'm happy to see two of my favorite authors displaying yet another facet in their mighty talent.