kyahgirl

Kyahgirl

Magic Rises
Ilona Andrews
Financial Fitness for Beginners - A 12-Week Training Program (Canadian Edition)
Diana E. Young
Truly
Ruthie Knox
And All the Stars - Andrea K. Höst 3.5/5; 4 stars; B+I really enjoyed many aspects of this book, especially the way the author depicts teenagers and young adults. She has a real gift for detailing the energy, curiosity, vulnerabilities and wild emotional highs and lows particular to people in this age group. The characters, Noi, Nash, Pan, and Madeline really were awesome. The lack of adult caretakers served to highlight how competent and effective a group of 'kids' can be. I also enjoyed the lack of gender and sexual stereotypes. And, most importantly, I really enjoyed the creative world building, the nature of the alien invasion, and the spires and conversion concept.One of the challenges with any kind of sci-fi book is coming to understand what is going on enough to enjoy the story. In this book, I felt a bit too baffled at times to enjoy the story as much as I could have. Right about the time when the group was caught I was starting to feel frustrated that not enough was happening to move the story forward and I needed to understand more about what was going on. When Fisher, near the end, is doing the broadcast to explain the En-Mott's history, motivation I couldn't quite understand everything the author was trying to convey. However, it was very clear that the danger the occupants of earth faced was not going to go away until they were destroyed. That provided excellent impetus for the rebellion and attack they Blues mounted at the end. One thing I really liked in this book was the dimension added when it was revealed that Theoden wanted to end the death and destruction and that he'd been kind of working as a double agent as he 'rode' Fisher. I love the idea that Maddie might have fallen in love with the alien as much as with the human. I also liked the revelation at the end that many of the moths weren't keen on the end goal and were just going along with their alien counterparts as part of the tide. Maybe I'm guilty of ascribing human values to aliens but that seems so much 'human nature' too. Very few people are really evil but many people don't have the ethical core and backbone required to go against the tide.